Nowadays, family outings mean more than just taking the kids out for a good time; it also usually means that the fur babies are tagging along, too. Luckily, there are many dog-friendly restaurants and eateries in Cape Town.
We’ve rounded up some of these hotspots that allow you and your canine companion to hang out outside of your home. Some restaurants even go above and beyond by offering water bowls and biscuits.
5 Dog-Friendly Restaurants in and around Cape Town
1. Café Paradiso in Kloof Street
Widely regarded as one of the Mother City’s best restaurants and a firm favourite amongst Hollywood celebs- everyone from Sean Penn to Charlize Theron has been spotted there- Café Paradiso boasts a welcoming courtyard and garden that makes for a fabulous dining experience. Of course, it’s also an ideal space for dogs. Do note: as a popular hotspot, especially during summer, the outdoor section fills up quickly, so it’s best to book in advance.
2. Dunes Restaurant in Hout Bay
As a seaside establishment in the idyllic Hout Bay, it comes as no surprise then that locals and international visitors flock to Dunes Restaurant. Adding to the appeal, of course, is the fact that pets are more than welcome to enjoy the space as well. So with ocean views, tasty grub and a festive ambience, Dunes deserves a spot on your must-visit list.
3. The Red Herring in Noordhoek
Situated in picturesque Noordhoek, The Red Herring features a welcoming interior and a sunset deck that looks out onto the stunning surrounds. Its reasonably priced fare (we hear their pizzas are amazing!) and relaxed atmosphere make it a favourite haunt. The best part? It’s pet-friendly, and the restaurant even provides water bowls for your furry friends.
4. Rhodes Memorial Restaurant and Tea Garden on Table Mountain
Situated on the Northern Slope of the iconic Table Mountain, this café boasts a stunning view that stretches from the Cape Flats to the Helderberg and Hottentots Holland Mountain ranges. It’s the perfect pit stop when hiking with family, and, of course, dogs are more than welcome. P.S: there is a dog biscuit cookie jar if you want to give your pet a little treat!
5. Damhuis Restaurant in Melkbosstrand
With a designated pet play area and water bowls on hand, Die Damhuis is as pet-friendly as it gets. Soak up the summer rays, indulge in some of the best South African cuisine on the West Coast and watch your pup have an equally good time. What’s more, the beach is right on our doorstep so that you can go for a pre- or post- meal stroll.
The Dos and Don’ts of Bringing your Dog to a Restaurant
- First things first: double check that the restaurant is pet-friendly. It’s best to call and ask a manager as websites are often outdated.
- Make sure your pooch is appropriately socialized. Restaurants can over stimulate a pet so make sure your dog is used to other people, loud noises and, of course, other dogs.
- Make sure you have another human with you who can help watch and entertain the dog. Also, you might need to use the bathroom, so having someone else, there will make your life a little easier.
- Not all pet-friendly restaurants provide water bowls, so keep one in your car, just in case.
- Remember, there are other people in the restaurant so if your pet is causing some issues, the onus is on you to remedy the situation.
Be sure to check out the delicious seafood and traditional South African cuisine we serve at Damhuis Restaurant on our Menu.