Just thinking about mussel chowder makes your mouth water, right? Well, we don’t blame you; the rich and creamy dish is incredibly delicious. Luckily, it’s pretty easy to prepare, and you can make your food fantasy a reality with this quick and easy mussel chowder recipe that’s been dreamt up by our executive chef, Stèfan Meintjes.
Mussel Chowder Recipe
- 10 Mussels (fresh)
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tbsp Bacon Bits
- pinch Saffron
- 1 cup White wine
- 1 cup Cream
- ½ cup Béchamel
- 2 tbsp Onions (diced)
- 2 tbsp Celery (chopped)
- Half a Lemon
- 1 tsp Fish Spice
- 1 tsp Parsley (chopped)
- ½ cup Potatoes (cubed)
- Salt and Pepper
- In a heavy bottom saucepan, heat the butter and oil.
- Fry of the onion, bacon and celery.
- Add the saffron and cubed potatoes.
- Cook through.
- Add the white wine (cook out the alcohol), add the mussels and steam until all mussels open.
- Then add Béchamel and half the cream.
- Incorporate the fish spice, squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer on low heat, adjust the thickness (you want a thick and creamy soup) with the rest of the cream.
- Add chopped parsley, and adjust the seasoning to taste.
It’s ideal when you have slices of French loaf to dip into your delicious chowder. Enjoy!
Be sure to check out the delicious seafood and traditional South African cuisine we serve at Damhuis Restaurant on our Menu.